A Travellerspoint blog

Day 35: Extra day in Krakow

Early that morning a good chunk of our group had already been taken to the airport, and most of those still hanging around left right after breakfast. There were a couple of us that had later flights so we got to go with Dr. D and his family to church in the Krakow ward that morning. Out of all the wards we went to this one was by far the smallest. It was a nice service though, and the people there were friendly.

Since we had to check out of our rooms that morning we left our bags in Dr. D's room since they had permission to check out later. Jess, Hannah, and I hung out in their room for a little bit until we decided to go out and explore the city more. One funny thing that happened when I was in Dr. D;'s family's hotel room. They let us use their restroom and while I was in there I noticed that the trashcan was filled with people's assignments (the book and City reports) that we had turned in the day before! It made me wonder if he had actually read the assignments or just counted to see if they were there and then binned them! Since they were going to leave while we would be gone, we brought our luggage down to the front desk and the girls working there let us store our stuff there until 5 when our taxi would take us to the airport.

Our first order of business was to check out this little stand that Hannah and Jess had seen that sold things called "Chimney cakes".
Don't they look absolutely amazing?!?!?! It's a bread-y dough wrapped around a metal cylinder, then cooked, covered in cinnamon sugar, then filled with different saucy type things and nuts of your choice. I got nutella in mine. It was absolutely phenomenal! It was still warm from being cooked which made the nutella all melty. A perfect treat for less than perfect weather! I recommend going to the stand if you are ever in Krakow!!

It was a little chilly outside so after we ate our fill of the chimney cakes we tried to find stores to go into to keep warm as well as to kill time until the taxi came. We shopped around in Zara (our group's favorite store to shop around in) and some of the boutiques that were on streets off the main plaza. We still had about two hours left until the taxi was coming to get us, but we were done pretending to be interested in clothes we weren't planning on buying. Luckily, I spotted the Cinnabon across the big square and I remembered that they offered free wifi from when we stopped in the other day. So we trooped over there and I ordered a hot chocolate so the workers would let us sit and chat in peace. I got to know the other girls really well as we shared our life stories, and of course "boy stories". I had been on this trip with them for the last 5 weeks, but I learned more about them in the last few hours of our adventure than I had during that whole time!

On the way back to the hotel we stopped in a Carrefour to grab food to eat for dinner and to stock up on more European chocolate :). We got in the taxi and drove to the airport. The drive was only 30 minutes and Hannah and Jess realized they still had about three hours to kill before their flight took off. My hotel was literally across the small road from the airport, so I offered to let them chill in my room before they went over. It was nice for me because once they left I really didn't have much to do! There wasn't any netflix in Poland (sad), but I ended up just reading and scrolling the internet before going to bed. Only three more days in Europe!

Posted by cedevault 19:57 Archived in Poland

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint